Friday, September 24, 2010

Subway Etiquette

I have noticed something about human nature that seems to exist only in the realm of public transportation. When shoved into a NYC bus or subway its common to be jostled, pushed, bumped and maybe even inappropriately winked at or hassled. It seems that during this time we, as people, seem to lose all sense of common decency and courtesy. Now I am not saying I'm above all this. You have to push and shove a bit or you will never get where you are going. However, it is quite bothersome.

The strange phenomenon I am talking about, however, is the loss of normal boundaries. Whether it is the invasion of my "bubble," or people inappropriately sticking their head into my conversation, the crossing of normal social boundaries is evident on the subway cars, platforms and even on the escalators.

My knitting story of the morning - I was working on a project this morning on the subway - something I normally avoid doing at all costs because, lets face it, the city is gross, when the woman next to me leans over and just starts touching all over my knitting. I looked at her and said "Excuse me," as "politely" as I possibly could.

The woman looked at me and just kept playing with my yarn. She did not say a single word, just kept eye contact with me and touched my stuff. I shifted my body weight so as to dislodge the knitting and then she just harrumphed and looked at me like I was the crazy person.

Can we have a knitting etiquette policy for public transportation that you must at first ask what the knitter is making and act interested before you put your grubby hands on my goods? You don't see me walking up to pregnant woman and rubbing all over their bellies. Okay, so maybe it's not the same, but what can you do?

After a year and a half living in NYC the subway still seems to amaze me. You meet every kind of person you could imagine on the subway. I love living in such an interesting and diverse place and I love getting to see first hand all that the world has to offer. I don't, however, like when it offers my pale yellow yarn a dingy patch from the creeper rubbing up on me on the subway.

Until next time....
Broke Knitter

No comments:

Post a Comment