Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Vogue Knitting Live Digression

Sorry for all those of you who popped in here to read about meals and evening events today...but I have to make a small digression. What is it with people on public transportation?!

Okay, so this isn't a total digression, it really made me think about Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's lecture from last Friday. Why is it that people always act like we are crazy for being knitters, yet they ask 5,000 questions and ogle at you when they see you on the subway?!

This morning I sat down on the bus and proceeded to pull out my knitting. Commuting an hour and a half each way every day I have to do something to or else I would just go nuts. I don't understand the people that can just sit there and stare. I guess I'm too afraid to be alone with my crazy thoughts.

Anyways, so I sit down and the woman next to me starts talking about how beautiful it is, how she wishes she could learn and knit but she is always so busy. I don't know how I did it, but I indulged her and explained how simple it can be. I told her that we are all very busy but if I am going to have to ride the bus I might as well make it enjoyable. Well, apparently I opened a can of worms! WHY OH WHY WAS I NICE?

My biggest pet peeve on public transportation - people who have very private conversations publicly on public transportation. Well, here I am, stuck in this seat beside a crazy woman who begins to tell me that she doesn't have time because her nephew is in prison, her daughter is pregnant and living at home and her husband is a recovering addict. And she thinks I'm the crazy one because I made the cardinal error when knitting, I told a story about my cat.

Once you mention that you have a cat...It's all over. Well, this sad old cat lady needs to return to the small solace of her lonely home where she shares a jar of tuna fish with her beloved feline companion. Lol! Just kidding! Anyways, tomorrow I promise I will continue with Vogue Knitting Live.

Until Next Time...
Broke Sad Cat Lady Knitter

No comments:

Post a Comment