Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day fellow readers. Today I want to spend some time talking about two of the greatest people I ever knew, and the best knitter that ever lived. This is my first St. Patrick's Day without either of my maternal grandparents.

My grandmother was the greatest knitter who ever lived. She adored knitting. Grammy turned to knitting when she left teaching in public schools - but you know the saying - "Once a teacher, always a teacher." Very soon after she started knitting she began teaching classes. My grandmother adored teaching. I don't know if she just adored being the center of attention (something I have obviously picked up from her) or just her passion for sharing knitting with others, but she was a wonderful teacher.

She and my grandfather were so happily in love and married for more than 50 years. Without them I don't know who I would be today. My grandmother, while not only a great knitter, was also a great Irishwoman. The woman loved green, loved shamrocks and LOVED a good party. St. Patrick's Day was such a special day to them and I am sure that they are having a blast together partying these days.

St. Patrick's Day is a very special day for me because it is a day to happily remember two of the most influential people in my life. St. Patrick's Day is a day to celebrate all that they taught me. Whether it's Grampy's famous pulling his finger off trick, or Grammy's long tail cast on measurement where you HAD to touch your finder to your nose, today is a day that I am having a great time just remembering.

In their honor I am wearing (for those of you know know me..spoiler alert) my green velour jacket, my green scarf and an adorable green wool hat my mother brought back with her from Dublin. Today I will proudly get out my needles and knit knit knit thinking of the woman who started it all.

Love You Grammy and Grampy!

Broke Knitter

No comments:

Post a Comment